Thursday, September 4, 2014

MTCC AmeriCorps VISTA Alumni Spotlight

Featured Alum: Gladys Walter


Gladys at an Appalachian Trailhead in the Great Smokey Mountains.

2012-2013 Montana Campus Compact VISTA Gladys Walter was kind enough to answer some questions about her experience serving with MTCC AmeriCorps VISTA and how it impacted her life.  Thanks for sharing Gladys, and for continuing your commitment to service and getting things done for America!

Where did you serve during your term as an AmeriCorps VISTA?
I served as a Montana Campus Compact AmeriCorps*VISTA from July 2012 to July 2013. My project was with Helena Public Schools in Helena, Montana. During my time there, I developed Parent Engagement programs for Title 1 Schools. I also served as a Montana AmeriCorps Connection member and took on coordinator roles for projects such as MLK Read for Peace, Global Youth Service Day and 9/11 National Day of Service.

How did your year of service impact your life? 
My year of service impacted my life in several ways. Prior to being a VISTA, service was primarily something I did in my free time. However, I soon realized that service is more than just a time filler – it is a lifestyle; a lifestyle that began in Montana and one I shall carry with me throughout my lifetime. The greatest impact from my year of service way the realization of how truly difficult it is for the needy to access resources that are supposed to be available to them. This realization not only came from working with members in the community but from my personal experiences as a VISTA and my attempts to access resources that I was at the time eligible for. I remember my housemates and I thinking “if four college graduates are having this much difficulty navigating this process, how are the truly needy who often have less resources supposed to be successful”?  Living just a few months in the shoes of individuals who live difficult lives every day surely does put a lot of things into perspective. Lastly, my year in Montana gifted me two new best friends in service and life – Kayla and Amelia.  We recently had our first reunion trip at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

 What did you do after your term as a VISTA?
After my VISTA term ended the plan was to head to graduate school. However, after not being accepted into my preferred program, I headed to Gainesville, Florida. I spent the following months earning a Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership and Management from the University of Florida – my undergraduate institution. I am currently in the process of applying to the Master’s program for the Spring 2015 semester.

Where are you now, and what us your daily work life like?
Currently, I serve as a Social Services Case Manager for the North Central Florida region of the Epilepsy Foundation of Florida. My daily work life includes: evaluating, analyzing and reviewing newly opened cases; developing individualized plans of care for each client; planning, organizing and facilitating monthly support groups; networking with community agencies to explore new information and available resources; and educating clients and their families on epilepsy care.
For more information on Epilepsy, please visit our national site at www.epilepsy.com

See Gladys' interview and other MTCC VISTA program updates in the MTCC Connection Summer Newsletter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment