Tuesday, November 17, 2015

AMERICORPS VISTA MEMBER ALUMNI MIRA MENDICK CHECKS-IN

MTCC VISTA Alumni Mira Mendick
Mira Mendick had a very fruitful year as an MTCC VISTA on University of Montana’s campus here in Missoula. Recently she successfully procured a higher education position at Missoula College, and we decided to check in with her. This is what she had to say:

When and where did you serve your term as a Compact AmeriCorps VISTA?

I served as an MTCC VISTA with the University of Montana Financial Education Program from July 2014 to July-2015. The overall goal of my year was to develop an enhanced entrance loan counseling to be delivered to all University of Montana students. I assisted with the development of this project through research, which contributed to the outlines I developed to be used to guide informational videos. The state decided to take this project on as a bigger initiative, which will result in all students in the MSU system having access to this enhanced entrance loan counseling.

What are some highlights from your year of service?

Besides the main focus of my project, I worked on a communication plan, a nonprofit resource sheet, a list of emergency and transitional housing, planned and facilitated student task force meetings, created informational flyers to be used by advisers, a career comparison chart, a write up for the Foreign Student Handbook, student surveys, and a financial aid glossary. In addition, I created partnerships with community nonprofits, such as HOMEward, tabled at the VITA workshops, attended Missoula College tabling events, and partnered with the Personal Finance professor.

How did your service impact your life?

I got to meet and work with amazing individuals, who are making big changes in the world of higher education. My year of service made me aware of some of the needs and challenges that student’s face when entering college, which inspired me to continue my work in the field of higher education.

Where are you now and in what way are you still involved with civic engagement?


I’ve stayed in Missoula and I am working in the Academic Advising Center at Missoula College. I’m embarrassed to admit that I haven’t been so involved in civic engagement lately, because I’ve been so busy with work, but I’m excited to start looking for meaningful ways to contribute to the community. Reach out to me if you need a volunteer!

_________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for your service Mira!

No comments:

Post a Comment