Thursday, November 8, 2018

THANK YOU AMERICORPS BY NICOLE LEMASTER

No automatic alt text available.One week ago I hit my two month mark in Missoula Montana, two thousand miles from my old Kentucky home. And of course, it started snowing transforming this valley in the Rockies into a widespread blanket of white. It went from a Kentucky September fall day to a Kentucky harsh winter day in the middle of February. Can you tell that I feel unprepared for the winter that is here? However, that’s a part of the experience I wanted when I signed up to be an AmeriCorps Leader at the SpecrtrUM Discovery Area here in Missoula Montana six months ago. Except the experience I’ve received so far is very different than what I expected.
Over the past two months there is one family that I have come to know very well from serving at SpectrUM and Empower Place. The family consists of a mother, her 9 year old daughter, 4 year old son and 6 month old girl along with their cousins. I expect this clan on Fridays after school hours and Saturdays after their morning trip to the Public Library. The older girls are pretty vocal about their living situations and their troubles, but that doesn’t impact how much fun we have while digging in the giant nose at SpectrUM or engaging in the science activity at the Discovery Bench. The baby girls sit quietly situated right next to each other in their double stroller while mom takes a break in our comfy chairs. You can see how tired she is, but nonetheless she has the sweetest and most genuine smile while her eyes dart about the museum ensuring all kids are accounted for and happy. From this family her 4 year old son has come to be one of my favorite people I’ve met on this journey so far. Cameron loves building tall structures with our Keva blocks and loves trying to figure out how to make a hotel from our geometric magnets. Cameron also works with the 3D printer and likes figuring out what the next big project is for him to build. Engineering ideas from his imagination is one of my favorite parts of the week. We have long discussions about how to plan our next project. For example we will talk about what materials to use and what is the best strategy to make his imaginary building a reality. In the hours we have spent building together I have learned that his favorite color is red, but sometimes green, his favorite song is “All About That Bass” by Meghan Trainor (I’m sure the cleanest of versions) and that even though he is always quiet he loves to tell you a nice compliment for the day. He talks to me as if we are peers and I appreciate him for that. While I am there to encourage him and support his curiosity, I am overcome with the feeling that I am gaining more from my experience with him than he is from me sometimes.
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, closeup and outdoorI cherish every moment I have with this family and the many other families that I get a chance to connect with at SpectrUM and Empower Place. Seeing the excitement on a kids face when the light bulb in their head turns on, listening to their elaborate stories or outlandish thoughts, and getting to share a mutually new experience are all why AmeriCorps gives more than just an experience. This journey is new but feels so right. To seek curiosity in others, speak with compassion, and to have courage to try out new ideas daily is what AmeriCorps, and Cameron, have given me. Thank you AmeriCorps!

No comments:

Post a Comment